Sunday, September 30, 2012

'... I dreamt of Manderley again.'


I first read Daphne dú Maurier's Rebecca (originally published in 1939) when I was in the seventh standard, egged on by my grandmum, who firmly believed that educating a girl in the English Classics was an experience in itself. At that time, I could little grasp the finer nuances and just thought of it as another ghost story. I re-read it in standard twelve and appreciated the language, the descriptions and promptly fell in love with Manderley. Post that, I must've read it at least 5 more times- each time being romanced by the suave Max deWinter and modelling my own knight after him...
Yesterday I chanced upon the 1997 television adaptation of the book and by far- it was the best adaptation I've ever seen. It brought alive the whole book. I loved Charles Dance as Max deWinter again and hated Diana Riggs as Mrs Danvers.
The place, the people- Mrs Van Hopper (Faye Dunaway in a brilliant tailormade performance as the eccentric society lady) Frith/ Crawley/ Beatrice- even Favell- came as waves of sweet remembrance- so well cast and so well played. 
It was a treat, indeed!

No comments: